the hot shit

New Year's Eve and the night before were epic in so many ways. The biggest way for me was realizing how little interest I have in DJing when I'm not joined by my partner in crime, one Demetrius.

I love djing. Well, more accurately, I love music. I love manipulating music, my own, the music of others. I successfully played a coffeeshop (kickstart scooter and coffeeshop on high st, Columbus, OH) without turntables. Interesting to see what Torq can do with just the keyboard. Not picture-perfect mixes, mind you, but damn was it interesting to see how many keys I could mash together to create effects and record brake simulations while blending Santogold with remixes of Lykke Li.

Also, re-visiting Pandora has definitely got my head working again music-wise this morning. Good to know my soul hasn't completely left me.

Now there's someone else in the mix. I have some really big decisions to make.

So... 

Here we go with the upcoming:

WHUDUP Wednesday
Jan 7th 9 PM - 2 AM, Free

@ ICON
231 N 5th St
Columbus, OH

Alternate Wednesdays with WORK for a reason.
WHY??
They are both too dope to miss one for the other.

Free Vodka and Red Bull.


Your rock show to see this year:

Phantods, Wing & Tusk, Couch Forts, Ghost Shirt

Friday, January 9, 2009 at 9:00pm

Skully's
1151 N High St
Columbus, OH

Phantods have my dear friend Gretchen King at the helm, and this is their last show before they disappear into songwriting hell.  Give them a good boost of confidence before they vanish for a while.  


And, old school is the new black, er... white... er...

GET RIGHT PRESENT "O-GEE"
OLD SCHOOL HIP HOP AND R &B BUTT TOUCHER

Saturday, January 10, 2009 at 9:00pm

DUE AMICI

67 EAST GAY STREET
City/Town:
Columbus, OH

$5 gets you into what might be the best new thing this year, and by new I mean old.  Let's rep it like Kareem just showed up in town and needs people to tell him he's awesome.  


We're back. 
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=44086770686&ref=nf

WORK: R<3u>

Wednesday January 14th, 10pm, Free.

Bristol Bar,
132 E. 5th
Columbus, OH


If you haven't yet witnessed Roevy in their epic live sets at BoMA or DiG, you're not going to know what to do with yourself on that night.  They do not back down from the edge for one second.  Well, ok, maybe for one song, but that's so you can inhale.

Opening sets by your lovely residents:
DJ MOXY
CJT
DAVE ESPIONAGE


On the "doing shit" tip:


Remember that time you were sitting in your office, smoking a cigar and enjoying the "high life," while demeaning women and giving them a quarter and hour for answering the phone?

Of course you don't.  Because that's not how it is, so to make sure it doesn't happen that way anywhere in the legally-bound US states, perhaps you would like to sign a petittion? 

On the "so done it hurts but hey this time might be less painful" tip:


Seriously, do we REALLY need another remix album of Jay-Z?

Sure, why not.  It would seem that its not altogether a bad set of concepts.  I might actually be inclined to play some of it out.  Maybe.  Then again, I'm inclined to play songs I hear in video games in my opening sets.  Take at your own risk.  


Comments

Popular Posts