Why I love my father.

My father sent me an email over the weekend.

For context: My parents and I had a long conversation about issues with my day life and night life, how I was living essentially two lives schedule-wise, how some of the most interesting girls that I've been attracted to have been of late less than able to maintain regular communication unlike my good friends and associates, and issues with the ethical standards of the clientele I meet at my dj gigs.

The email follows:

I was listening to and watching a copy of the Traveling Wilburys DVD, CD set and found this bit of tongue in cheek writing about them a little echoic of your musical situation; especially fourth paragraph. All of it is funny.

Dad.

"The original Wilburys were a stationary people who, realizing that their civilization could not stand still forever, began to go for short walks – not the “traveling”, as we now know it, but certainly as far as the corner and back. They must have taken to motion, in much the same way as penguins were at that time taking to ledges, for the next we hear of them they were going out for the day (often taking lunch or a picnic).

Later, we don’t as yet’ know how much later, some intrepid Wilburys began to go away for the weekend, leaving late Friday and coming back Sunday. It was they who evolved simple rhythmic forms to describe their adventures.

A remarkable sophisticated musical culture developed, considering there were no managers or agents, and the further the Wilburys traveled the more adventurous their music became, and the more it was revered by the elders of the tribe who believed it had the power to stave off madness, turn brunettes into blonds and increase the size of their ears.

As the Wilburys began to go further and further in their search for musical inspiration they found themselves the object of interest among many less developed species – nightclub owners, tour operators and recording executives. To the Wilburys who had only just learnt to cope with wives, roadies and drummers, it was a blow from which many of them never recovered.

A tiny handful survived - the last of the traveling Wilburys - and the songs gathered here represent the popular laments, the epic and heroic tales, which characterize the apotheosis of the elusive Wilbury sound. the message of the music travels, as indeed they traveled and as I myself must now. travel for further treatment. Good listening, good night and let thy Wilbury be done ...


sleeve note ®.hugh jampton, e.f. Norti-ritz reader in applied jacket, university of krakatoa (east of java)"



I might have written it this way. -- Luigi

"As the Wilburys began to go further and further in their search for musical inspiration they found themselves the object of interest among many less developed species – nightclub owners, party organizers and DJ schedulers. To the Wilburys who had only just learnt to cope with girl-friends semi-serious to vacant, roadies and eccentric drummers not to mention lead singers infatuated with Elvis era microphones, it was a blow from which many of them never recovered."


----

My father is a genius.

Comments

Popular Posts